[Asterisk-Users] Case studies for 120 simultaneous calls on IVR

Christian Victor christian at victormedia.de
Fri Sep 24 09:46:09 MST 2004

Hi Régis,

> We’re going to build an IVR system with a TE405P and 4 E1. We’re sure
> that the 120 channels will be filled by 120 simultaneous calls during
> peak, so we want to have the good server to manage this.
>
> We wonder a lot of things and maybe you could help us.
>
> - Are you ever build a similar system ?

Yes - I am currently having a quite similar system in produktion fpr a week.

> - What hardware is the most adapted for this type of use ?

I use Intel "Torrey Pines" Motherbiard with single P4-3GHz and 2GB of
ECC RAM.

> - What is the most important ? (lot of memory ?, ultra speed CPU ?, Good
> disk ?)

I think disk usage is not that heavy. Look for a fast CPU und at least
1GB of ram. Don't try to run other applications on the system! ;-)

> - Does linux use the advantage of Xeon processor ? so we must buy Xeon ?

It does. Put I would prefer two single P4 boxes over one dual Xeon.

> I looked in the wiki but I have not found case studies on this type of use.

I will write something soon.

> For the moment, the IVR will be managed by AGI and perl. Is there more
> efficient to use AGI and C ?

I do most functions in the dialplan. There are not much things wich need
external applications. I think usage of AGI will slow your system down.

Christian