[Asterisk-Users] ISDN problem: lacking dialtone

Martin Mielke martin.mielke at thales-is.com
Tue Sep 21 05:32:34 MST 2004

Hi all,

this is a rather "newbie-oriented" question, so please bear with me...

The system running Asterisk has been provided with an AVM FRITZ!Card
PnP. SuSE Linux 9.0 recognizes it right after booting the system and it
seems to be configured (MSN) correctly...

The hwinfo looks like this:
---
pbx:/etc/asterisk # hwinfo --isapnp
11: ISA(PnP) 01.0: 10300 ISDN Adapter
  [Created at isapnp.193]
  Unique ID: QQNm.4JPVYg4a1y4
  Hardware Class: isdn adapter
  Model: "AVM FRITZ!Card PnP"
  Vendor: AVM "AVM"
  Device: eisa 0x0900 "AVM ISDN-Controller FRITZ!Card"
  I/O Ports: 0x220-??? (rw,disabled)
  IRQ: 5 (disabled)
  Requires: capi4linux, i4l-base, i4l-isdnlog
  Driver Info #0:
    I4L Type: 8002/7 [AVM FRITZ!Card PnP]
  Driver Info #1:
    I4L Type: 27/2 [AVM FRITZ!Card PnP]
  Config Status: cfg=yes, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

---

My extensions.conf has a the following relevant lines:
---
TRUNK=Modem/g1                                  ; Trunk interface
TRUNKMSD=1                                      ; MSD digits to strip
(usually 1 or 0)
.
.
ignorepat => 8
.
.
exten => _8.,1,Dial(${TRUNK}:${EXTEN})
---

The modems.conf defines the group like this:
---
group=1
msn=987654321
incomingmsn=987654321
device => /dev/ttyI0
device => /dev/ttyI1
.
.
.
---

Asterisk shows the following message when coming up:
---
Modem Driver)
    -- Configured modem /dev/ttyI0 with driver i4l (Linux ISDN)
    -- Configured modem /dev/ttyI1 with driver i4l (Linux ISDN)
  == Registered channel type 'Modem' (Generic Voice Modem Channel Driver)
---

so the isdn4linux drivers are correctly loaded. I know, CAPI should do
better but I can't compile from the tarball (see my post about it)

When trying to dial the PSTN using the ISDN interface I get:
---
*CLI>     -- Executing Dial("SIP/mmielke-8c8e", "Modem/g1:8123456789")
in new stack
    -- Called g1:8123456789
Sep 21 14:20:53 WARNING[229391]: chan_modem_i4l.c:355 i4l_read: Device
'/dev/ttyI1' lacking dialtone
    -- Hungup 'Modem[i4l]/ttyI1'
  == No one is available to answer at this time
---

..."lacking dialtone" is false. I just plugged an ISDN-phone to the line
and tested it works perfectly...

So, any ideas? what am I doing wrong this time? ;)

TIA,
Martin