[Asterisk-Users] No Caller Name sent from Asterisk over Nationalor DMS100 PRI to a Norstar MICS?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com
Mon Sep 20 16:33:05 MST 2004

David Troy wrote:

> So, assuming CLEC in (B) has done its job and published some sort of
> reverse lookup for 410-555-1212, calls made via (C) should, in theory,
> correctly display Caller ID Name for the callee's.  But how?

As I understand it, the scenario you described is already how things
work. LECs and CLECs do not manage their own Caller ID databases (at
least not for other telcos to dip into), all of this data is stored in
the nationwide SS7 network, managed by VeriSign (used to be Illuminet).

When a telco switch receives a call from _anywhere_ and it wants to
deliver Calling Name to the called part, it does an SS7 lookup to get
the registered Calling Name for Calling Party Number that was given to
it. It _is_ possible for the caller-provided Calling Party Name to be
transferred all the way across the network and delivered to the
recipient (if both ends are ISDN-equipped), but this is not common, and
is a major "security" (such as it is) hole anyway.

So, to answer your question: whichever telco is currently providing
inbound service for a given DN (and billing the customer for that) is
responsible for maintaining the associated name record in the nationwide
SS7 network database. If the customer is able to generate calls using
another telco and provide this DN as the Calling Party Number, the
called party will still see the same Calling Party Name, regardless of
the originating telco for that call or the path it took through the PSTN.