[Asterisk-Users] Newbie has a few basic questions please.

Bruce bruce at bruce.homelinux.com
Mon Sep 20 13:22:22 MST 2004

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.  I do have vonage phone service and they have
provided me a motorla device I plug into my broadband and also plug my
phone into to make calls. this is a nice service for 30 bucks, but as
with all things linux, why cant one connect to the PSTN for free? I
mean isnt there a protocol one can use to get access to the pstn?
What does vonage use to do this?  Or do they have to pay for access to
the pstn.
Bruce

<bruce at bruce.homelinux.com> wrote:

> > I think I am missing the whole purposes of *. i see that it can do
> > mainy things, but in laymans temrs I am not sure what it does.
> > I am very proficient in Linux and would like to use * for the
> > following:
> >
> > 1) I would like to get rid of my landline(verizon) and use voip as
my
> > main means to communicate on the telephone.  I would like to be
able
> > to plug in my plain old phone into my linux box and be able to
make a
> > phone call to my family who has a plain old telephone line going
into
> > thier house, using voip and then I guess connecting to the pstn.
Can