[Asterisk-Users] Re: cisco 7960 CTLSEP

Daniel Poulsen dpoulsen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 12:35:38 MST 2004

I had this same problem and I only found out how to upgrade the phones
by trial an error.  I even opened a Cisco case to get help on it but
they couldn't help me!

I think the problem is that 79xx firmware prior to 7.x doesn't know to
look for the .loads file, and without the loads file it will only load
the SCCP .sbn file.  It need the loads file to load the SIP .sb2 file.
 This is contrary to Cisco docs, but this is how I did it.

1. Expand the 7.2 firmware files into the tftp-root.
2. By default OS79XX.txt has P003-07-2-00.  Change this to
P0S3-07-2-00, but leave the image_version in your SIPDefaults set to
P003-07-2-00.
3. Reboot.  The phone will load an image and you will get the protocol
invalid error as noted earlier in this thread.
4. Change your SIPDefauls.cnf to P0S3-07-2-00.
5. Reboot.  The phone will look for the loads file and load the proper
sb2 image bringing you to version 7.2.

Dan