[Asterisk-Users] Newbie has a few basic questions please.

Bruce bruce at bruce.homelinux.com
Mon Sep 20 12:25:25 MST 2004

I think I am missing the whole purposes of *. i see that it can do
mainy things, but in laymans temrs I am not sure what it does.
I am very proficient in Linux and would like to use * for the
following:

1) I would like to get rid of my landline(verizon) and use voip as my
main means to communicate on the telephone.  I would like to be able
to plug in my plain old phone into my linux box and be able to make a
phone call to my family who has a plain old telephone line going into
thier house, using voip and then I guess connecting to the pstn.  Can
i do this?  If so, how? What hardware do I need? Can anyone connect to
PSTN lines for free? Or do I need to pay some phone company somewhere?

thanks to anyone who can help.

Bruce