[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk as an outbound call machine?

Kenneth Shaw ken at expitrans.com
Sat Sep 18 11:25:32 MST 2004

Jim,

What you are probably looking for is a superdialer mechanism, as it is
tricky to get Asterisk to do predictive dialing.

A superdialer (if you don't know what it is) is basically a forward call
succession plan. What happens is that you connect to one phone number
after another in successive order, with your agent sitting and listening
on one end.

Accomplishing this in Asterisk is fairly easy, and I approached a
similar problem with an AGI script (written in PHP to interface with our
database).

All you would need to do is have an agent connect to a specific
extension and then launch the AGI script. Here's something off the top
of my head:

------------ extensions.conf ------------
exten => 5000,1,Wait(1)
exten => 5000,2,Answer
exten => 5000,3,AGI(superdialer.php,${INSERT_SOME_PARAM_HERE})
exten => 5000,4,Hangup

------------ superdialer.php (using PHP AGI) ------------

<?php

require_once('phpagi/phpagi.php');
require_once('AwesomePhoneNumberSelectCode.inc.php');

$agi = new AGI();

$numbers = AwesomePhoneNumberSelectCode_Execute();
// assume it returns an array of phone numbers

foreach ($numbers as $number) {

	$agi->conlog("SuperDialing: $number");

	// dial with a 30 second timeout (approx. 5 or 6 rings)
	$result = $agi->agi_exec("EXEC Dial
IAX2/username at voicepulse/$number|30");

	if ($result['code'] != 200) {
		// error here
	}

       $result = $agi->agi_exec('channel status');
       if (!is_array($result) || $result['code'] != 200) {
	// asterisk terminated on us, so exit out
              break;
       }
}

?>

Something like the above should allow you to accomplish what you're
looking to accomplish.

-Ken Shaw...