[Asterisk-Users] English vs American voice files

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sat Sep 18 06:37:34 MST 2004

Bill Seddon <bill.seddon at lyquidity.com> wrote:
> My wife has been recording the text published on the wiki. A couple
> of questions for you:

> 1) One of the recordings says "please enter the full 10 digit number
> starting with the area code".  Any opinions on whether this should be
> changed for the UK and, if so, to what?

I'd probably go for "please enter the full national number, including
the area code".

A play with BT's automated services on 150 (I'm thinking particularly
of the Friends and Family number change section) should be fruitful as
to what BT thinks is the best wording.

> 2) The recordings seem "dull" on playback even though we are
> recording using a good quality microphone with matching impedance.
> Initially we recorded using 16 bit/8K sampling on the basis that
> this is what is required by Asterisk but that was really terrible.
> So we're sampling at higher rates on the basis that we can use sox
> to change it as necessary. Any thoughts on what we can do to make
> the recordings sound "sharper"?

How about making the recordings on a telephone? Leave yourself a
voicemail containing the choice phrases, then edit them out using
something like Audacity.

--
I have four children which is not bad considering I'm not a Catholic.
							- Sir Peter Ustinov