[Asterisk-Users] No sound

Hendrik Weimer hendrik at enyo.de
Sat Sep 18 03:30:47 MST 2004

Hello,

I have just set up an asterisk box (Debian unstable) and I would like
to test it with a H.323 application (gnomemeeting). When I call the
demo voice menu, I can't hear any sound. asterisk says that the
soundfile is played:

-- Executing BackGround("H323/ip$212.9.189.172:30005/29597", "demo-congrats") in new stack
-- Playing 'demo-congrats' (language 'en')

Using strace I found out that the file is actually read, but there is
no subsequent traffic on the network. Neither a firewall nor NAT is
involved. gnomemeeting says in its history that the codec gets
immediately closed after the connection is established:

12:05:56 Opened codec G.711-ALaw-64k{sw} for transmission
12:05:56 Connected with root  using The NuFone Network's H.323 Channel Driver for Asterisk	1.0.0
12:05:56 Closed codec G.711-ALaw-64k{sw} which was opened for transmission

I edited h323.conf to use different codecs but all produced the same
result. Strangely, I can send dtmf tones and they are interpreted by
asterisk.

Do you have an idea on what's going on here and how to fix it?

Thanks a lot,
Hendrik