[Asterisk-Users] English vs American voice files

Mark Phillips kc2eni at nyc-ares.org
Sat Sep 18 02:16:09 MST 2004

Bloody hell Bill, don't hang about will ya!

I agree that the suggested sample format is pretty bad. I'd do it at 44x16.

As for sounding dull. Dunno what you mean here but it sounds like either
your mic doesn't have the right amount of range or that you need to add
som EQ to your mic line to emphasise it. I find that I need to boost my
mid range and so I twiddle the 2.5k pot on my mixer.

If this isn;t avasilable to you, ship me some audio and I'll take a crack
at it and see what I can do.

Also, what environment are you recording it in? I built a small cubby hole
out of plasterboard and 2x4's which I then hung carpet onto to reduce the
hardness of the walls. The carpet absorbes andy sound that might otherwise
get bounced back and picked up. Works quite well.

Mark

Bill Seddon said:
> My wife has been recording the text published on the wiki.  A couple of
> questions for you:
>
> 1) One of the recordings says "please enter the full 10 digit number
> starting with the area code".  Any opinions on whether this should be
> changed for the UK and, if so, to what?
>
> 2) The recordings seem "dull" on playback even though we are recording
> using
> a good quality microphone with matching impedance.  Initially we recorded
> using 16 bit/8K sampling on the basis that this is what is required by
> Asterisk but that was really terrible.  So we're sampling at higher rates
> on
> the basis that we can use sox to change it as necessary.  Any thoughts on
> what we can do to make the recordings sound "sharper"?
>
> Bill Seddon

Mark Phillips, G7LTT/KC2ENI
Randolph, NJ
http://www.g7ltt.com/