[Asterisk-Users] Background() command

Paul Penrod P.Penrod at fiber-ride.com
Fri Sep 17 15:52:36 MST 2004

Folks,

Apologies ahead of time if this has already been asked (read the list for
the last month looking
for something similar).

I have been trying to get the Background command to work with no joy yet.

Here is what I am trying to do:

1. Answer the call.
2. Play the message in the background, while waiting on DTMF from user.
3. If I get a "1", then interrupt the message and dial the phone number listed
     at extension "1", otherwise play "invalid extension" and cycle back.

Here is what I have so far:

* note: phone numbers changed to "generic"

[message]
exten => s,1,Answer()
exten => s,2,Wait(2) 	;Pause to let the user end catch up with the connection
exten => s,3,Background(demo-congrats)
exten => s,4,Goto(3)

exten => t,1,Playback(vm-goodbye)
exten => t,2,Hangup()

exten => i,1,Playback(pbx-invalid)
exten => i,2,Goto(s,3)

exten => 1,1,Playback(transfer)
exten => 1,2,Dial(SIP/4805551212/20)

[incoming]

exten => 8665551212,1,Goto(message,s,1)

What I get is:

1. The number is answered and the demo-congrats file plays.
2. No matter what button I press on the phone, the file continues to play
and recycle when it's done.

Question(s):

1. Is there a proper way to configure this?
2. Am I missing a configuration step somewhere in the one of the conf files.

Thanks in advance,

...Paul