[Asterisk-Users] Astricon

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Fri Sep 17 14:50:10 MST 2004

Rich Adamson wrote:

>>	It sure does.  On the astricon.net site you will find "High-speed
>>internet access provided by STSN" under hotel features.  I know from
>>experience in other Marriots that there is an adaptor in the room (an
>>xDSL I'm sure) with a 10/100 ethernet on it.  You register when you
>>connect for $9.99 per 24hr span to connect.  I am not sure about Wifi.
>>It would be bad if the hotel for Astricon didn't let us use our SIP phones!
>

> Assuming the equipment is the same stuff that's installed at many of
> the Marriott hotels, it talks a web browser to activate the service.
> The browser is auto-redirected to an internal hotel web page, and you
> authorize the access for the fee (for 24 hours as noted above).
>
> Be carefull with assumptions... some of these arrangements require the web
> browser access to open the channel again during that 24 hour period. I
> was at one last week, and used a hub in the room thinking I could use
> a snom 200 for making calls. Didn't work. PC worked fine has long as
> I started with the web browser, then x-lite would work; but the snom
> never did. (The snom has been used in lots of hotel rooms around the
> country, and I'm quit comfortable with its ability to handle nating,
> firewalls, etc.) I wouldn't make any assumptions relative to sip and
> iax2 though.
>
> Rich

Rich,

	Experimenting at various Marriots in several states tells that STSN
binds that $9.99 charge your in-room box and MAC address. I register
with my laptop (RHEL3 WS & Mozilla) then do NAT firewalling with a
second NIC (or built in WiFi) to support other devices.  I would love to
try with one of the 802.11b WiFi phones for a nice cordless phone...

--
Kristian Kielhofner