[Asterisk-Users] English vs American voice files

Mark Phillips kc2eni at nyc-ares.org
Thu Sep 16 16:06:23 MST 2004

Hi folks,

Does anyone have any "English" voice files rather than "American" voice
files.  I know that Digium and Alison Smith have worked hard to provide a
library of sounds etc but this doesn't work for my UK client.

Ideally I'm looking for female files but I'll settle for male ones.

If not then I'd be happy to start one (I used to be a radio announcer in a
past life). They would obviously be done on a request basis initially. At
some point the library would become usefull to someone other than the file
requestors.

Could some clever wag that deals with the language bits of * create some
other "languages" like British, Aussie, SouthAfrican. I'd also be looking
for Welsh too (anyone here speak Taff?) How about Georgie (I'm kidding
about that one).

All these modes of English are more than just a dialect. My 7 or so years
as an Ex-Pat in the US have taught me that American really is a valid
language. Whilst most of us English speakers can cope with American we'd
be a bit suprised when calling a VM system in Slough, Cooperpedy or
Pretoria only to be spoken to in American.

Am I just ranting here or does someone get my point?

--
Mark Phillips, G7LTT/KC2ENI
Randolph, NJ