[Asterisk-Users] No Caller Name sent from Asterisk over National or DMS100 PRI to a Norstar MICS?

David Troy dave at popvox.com
Thu Sep 16 04:57:15 MST 2004

Bill Lohr, et al:

I can say from personal experience that with a PRI in MD (Verizon or
Verizon-CLEC) territory, it is possible to inject CALLER ID NUMBER on a
per call basis regardless of what channel the call originates from.  The
callee's PSTN carrier performs a reverse lookup on the NUMBER and displays
whatever name is in the public directory they use for the reverse lookup.

For instance, it is possible to set your Caller ID Number on an outbound
PRI call to 202-456-1414; on the callee's caller ID Display, the name and
number will read "THE WHITE HOUSE" <202-456-1414>.  However, I do not
recommend doing this.  It is just a colorful example.

I do not believe it is possible to set Caller ID Number on a per-call
basis using anything other than a PRI or other ISDN/SS7 interconnection.
Possibly there are ways it can be tweaked with other types of signalling
but most carriers are probably unwilling/unable to support it.  I do not
believe there is any instance where the PSTN will pay any attention at all
to *-set Caller ID Name fields on outbound calls; this app/field is
seemingly only used by non pstn channels, such as SIP.

Setting Caller ID Number dynamically on a per call basis on a POTS,
channelized T1, or other sort of line is definitely not possible.

With Caller ID Name for inbound calls, this is a configurable setting on a
PRI and your provider may or may not be giving you that data.  It is
almost always sent on a POTS line.  Additionally there are some special
values for the Caller ID Name field that CPE can interpret: "O" means "Out
of Area", "P" for "Private", etc.

As for solving the Caller ID Name problem for outbound calls, I am
somewhat stumped.  Presumably, this data is generated, compiled, and
maintained by the ILEC/CLECs involved.  In theory, CLECs who issue phone
numbers to their customers should be responsible for the reverse mapping
and sharing of this information, however, as we live in a world where
CLEC's freely trade numbering resources and reverse lookups are not a top
business priority, results may vary considerably.  Not to mention most
ILECs couldn't care less about CLEC numbers and what is displayed.
They'd be happy to sabotage that process entirely and undoubtedly that's
what they are doing, whether actively or by default.

Outbound calls from Vonage, which is for the most part PRI based, indicate
a proper Caller ID Number, however the reverse name lookups I have seen
indicate "VONAGE" as the Caller ID Name.  Since Vonage is getting its
lines from various CLECs, somewhere somebody has managed to set the
reverse lookup for their numbers to "VONAGE" in a public database that
Verizon listens to.  If anyone has any real insight or experience with
this process or the applicable databases, I'd love to hear about it.

Dave