[Asterisk-Users] Problems with native h323 channel on Asterisk RC2: No early audio and codec negotiation issues

Vlasis Hatzistavrou vhatz at auth.gr
Thu Sep 16 01:27:49 MST 2004

Hello all,

We have been testing Asterisk RC2 with the native H323 channel driver.
We followed the instructions with the needed OpenH323 and PWLib versions
and everything compiled ok. Operation of  the driver seems ok, except
from 2 main points:

1) Audio is passed between the two ends of the call only after the call
is answered. This was not the case with previous versions of Asterisk
(0.9.2 for example), in which audio would begin before the call was
answered. Early audio is useful i order to provide the calling user with
remote end ringback as well as recorded announcements, etc.

2) The codec capabilities that Asterisk sends seem strange. No matter
which codecs we set in the h323.conf file, G711 is the only codec that
is sent in the capabilities. In order to use any other codec, we have to
enable only the needed codec and disable all others. Again, this problem
did not exist in older * versions, like 0.9.2 and it's limiting the
capabilities of Asterisk in H323.

Has anyone dealt with this problem successfully?

Best regards,

--
Vlasis Hatzistavrou.