[Asterisk-Users] PABX & VOIP Gateway

Phil Stevens Phil.Stevens at cydn.com.au
Wed Sep 15 21:22:29 MST 2004

>I don't quite understand what you need Austel compliance for if all you
want to do is link to a PBX. You don't need Austel
>approval for that, only if you connect directly to Telstra.

I am familiar with VOIP, however, at this point, I have only ever used
SIP phones with out-bound calls via ITSPs.

Could someone please describe what might be required for the following
setup? -

I am researching the use of VOIP SIP technology with an existing PBX.
What would be required to allow users on the PBX to call directly to a
SIP phone over IP? I would imagine that there would need to be a
"gateway" attached to the PBX, the gateway would then route the call to
the SIP phone. The gateway would also need to resolve extension numbers
to an actual IP. Can Asterisk do this?

Thank you.