[Asterisk-Users] Extending E1's over a Satellite link

Wed Sep 15 09:11:37 MST 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:25:35 +0100 (BST), Arinze Izukanne
<aizukanne at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Being that its a lot of Bandwidth, I need to compress
> the channels to use less bandwidth on the transfer.
> TDMoE is ruled out. What can I do with Asterisk to
> achieve this aim.

Use IAX and the ILBC codec.

You could also try IAX trunking to bundle multiple channels into a
single IAX stream, but in my experience this requires a fairly good
low latency connection, so it's probably a no go in your particular
case. Also, if you have jitter and want to use the jitter buffer, IAX
trunking is a no go.

Still, even without IAX trunking, IAX and ILBC with a QoS of
lowbandwidth between the two IAX hosts at each end of the satellite
connection should do fine.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.