[Asterisk-Users] Sending Caller ID info in MD/USA

Marty Mastera mmastera at m3resources.com
Tue Sep 14 22:49:23 MST 2004

	All,

	    Having trouble getting answer from Verizon.  I believe
Asterisk will let me specify a name and number that is sent to the PSTN
(Verizon) of outgoing calls.  For instance, if I have a client, First
Bank, and their toll free number is 888-555-1234, I could send that name
and number.  Verizon is telling me that they will forward the number I
send them, but the name will be my company's name.  I can't get an
answer from them if this is a technical problem due to old equipment at
their switching office; or if it is just a policy/law issue; or they
just plain don't want to.  Does anyone have any answers to this?  Any

	Thanks,

	Bill

Hey Bill....found a better explanation of what I was talking about (from
the Asterisk Handbook):

callerid: Sets the Caller ID information for a channel or channels.  The
Caller ID string will be transmitted to other phones connected to your
Asterisk network.  If you are dialing out to the public phone network
via PRI, the Caller ID line number will be sent to the destination
phone.  The public carrier will attach the matching directory listing to
the number transmitted.  Therefore, you can set the number on PRI's but
the name will automatically match the carrier directory.  If you are
dialing out via an FXO to a standard line, the carrier controls the
Caller ID sent to the recipient entirely.

Since the circuit is in your name, that's the name that appears on
outbound calls via that circuit, regardless of what you set it to...if
you were willing to dedicate channels on your circuit to your customer,
maybe it's possible to have Verizon set those channels in your customers
name on their systems?  But as Jay pointed out, if it's up to the call
recipient's carrier to lookup and send caller id name, who knows how
accurate their lookup would be even if you did get it set on a channel
by channel basis by Verizon....

Marty