[Asterisk-Users] Extending E1's over a Satellite link

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Tue Sep 14 14:33:09 MST 2004

Tim McKee wrote:
> Guys:
>
> I routinely run multiple phones over our satellite system (I'm the VP of
> Network Services at SDN Global, a satellite bandwidth provider located in
> Charlotte NC, US).
>
> Just last week I went to West Palm Beach, FL US and turned up a 10 phone
> emergency call center, complete with ACD queues for an insurance company.
> We were able to run all ten phones (Cisco 7960Gs, SIP) on G.729 codecs back
> to my * server in Charlotte NC US.  No special settings were required on *
> or the phones.
>
> The satellite system *must* support *REAL* QoS and must have jitter <
> ~100ms.  Traditional satellite systems have *lots* more jitter than that.
> The actual latency _doesn't matter_ as long as the jitter is steady.  We are
> even doing 'double-hop' phone calls successfully, where the latency is
> double the normal latency.
>
> Anyone that wants more detailed info contact me off-list.

Out of sheer curisity, the delay itself doesn't make the conversation
'bad' (meaning, walkie-talkie/roger-and-over-like ?)
The codec itself should introduce some dozens of ms, but the satellite,
is not at least 300ms one way or something like that ? adding the
codecs, and the jitter buffers and etc..I wonder how good/bad is it ?