[Asterisk-Users] Clarification - FAX on local network

Marty Mastera mmastera at m3resources.com
Tue Sep 14 11:10:19 MST 2004

Ok, ok, I know there has been plenty of discussion on asterisk and fax -
from this I understand:

1)    First and foremost, use g.711 ulaw
2)    Packet loss, etc...makes faxing over the internet unreliable

My need is for a fax to come in on a X100P and be forwarded to a fax
machine on the local lan.  I don't currently have any fxs as I'm using
all sip phones at this point.  I see the safe solution as buying a
TDM10B (or a TDM11B and ditching my X100P) to keep the fax extension TDM
(my problem with this is cost).  My next thought was a sipura or similar
sip ata, using ulaw.  From the comments on the unreliability of fax due
to packet loss, I need input on how successful this approach would be if
everything involved is on the local lan.  Lastly, is it possible to use
an IAXy?  I assume that if you're using ulaw and can minimize packet
loss that his could work but I haven't seen much (success or failure) on
the list from anyone attempting fax over IAX.

Thanks

Marty Mastera
M3 Resources
marty at m3resources.com