[Asterisk-Users] Using Asterisk as a replacement for a Merlin Legend.

Carmi Weinzweig carmi-asterisk-users at jimiscool.com
Tue Sep 14 10:25:22 MST 2004

I was just about to replace 2 Merlin Legend systems (one in my house
and one in my Parent's house) with * systems. I have 2 beefy linux
systems ready to go and have enough Cisco 7960 and 7970 phones to
replace all my MLX-10D, MLX-16D and MLX-20 phones. Then I discovered
that * seems to be lacking a critical feature for replacing a legend
(or any standard PBX) and that is an ability for a user to see if
another user is on his or her phone or if a trunk is in use.

I am not sure if this is where I should address this issue (or if it
should be send to a developers list), but is there any work underway to
support this? In other words, what I would like to see is if I have a
trunk that appears on multiple phones (my house's main line for
example), I want a visual indication on every phone that it is in use
if someone on another phone is using it.

On a related front, I would like to be able to put a call on hold in
one location and be able to pick it up somewhere else with out having
to know anything about where it was placed on hold (difference between
call park and call hold). If this is available today, it is not listed
as a feature on *'s website, nor can I figure out how to make it happen
from *'s documentation.

To be clear, Asterisk is an amazing product and offers a great many
features that I am looking forward to using. I am just trying to figure
out when I will be able to use it to replace my PBXes.

Thanks in advance.

/carmi