[Asterisk-Users] Extending E1's over a Satellite link

Arinze Izukanne aizukanne at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 13 20:23:54 MST 2004

OK. What I am thinking is, It is possible to install a server running Asterisk on each end of the Satellite link, with an E1 card in each Asterisk; and the boxes are configured to pick up incomming calls  on the E1 channels and pass them to the other box across the link to the other Asterisk PBX which in turn completes the call via the PSTN E1 on that side.

Basically the aim is to provide a solution that works similar to RAD's VMUX but using Asterisk as the engine.

I expect there would be codec translation along the way.

I have this concept but how to implement it is another issue. I need someone who has experience with Asterisk already to tell me how feasible this is and to what extent it would achieve the aim of reducing bandwidth and maintaining minimal latency.

Best regards

Arinze

Kannaiyan Natesan <nkans at speak2world.com> wrote:
asterisk is a pbx software. I don't think there is a compression and uncompression utility except codec conversions. Even in those cases you can be sure that there will be loss of data as there is no lossless compression.

If you have any satellite transmission and reception card which can be interfaced for voice communication with asterisk kindly share your views here, we can discuss more on that.

Asterisk sends calls over internet very efficiently by reducing the ethernet overhead and the channel overheads and that is only in IAX protocol. May be this you can consider to extend for satellite communication.

If you have more information kindly let us know about it whether anything of the above matches to your interest.

-Kannaiyan