[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk testbed for teaching connecting to aPRI-ISDN

Storer, Darren starusers at comgate.tv
Mon Sep 13 05:47:10 MST 2004

Hi Francesco,

you can easily run two Asterisk systems "back to back" in the way you
described below.

  ---------------                             ---------------
 |   Asterisk 1 |                            | Asterisk 2   |
 |        TE405 |==============X=============| TE405        |
 |Provide Clock |      Cross Over Cable      | Take Clock   |
 |          NET |                            | CPE          |
  ---------------                             ---------------

In the diagram above Asterisk 1 is simulating the PSTN (Telco) and Asterisk
2 is a PBX. To set the ISDN protocol correctly for Asterisk 1 your settings
should include pri_net and for Asterisk 2 you should have an entry such as
pri_cpe. To make sure that timing is generated by 1 and received by 2 you
should use the settings below:

Asterisk 1:          span=1,0,0,ccs,hdb3,crc4
Asterisk 2:          span=1,1,0,ccs,hdb3,crc4

The only hardware that you need to interconnect the two systems is a cross
over RJ45 cable, pin out is shown below:

    PRI Cross Over Cable

         2------5
         1------4
         5------2
         4------1

There are plenty of notes on how to achieve your requirements, already
written up by other list contributors; simply check the archive of this
mailing list at: http://lists.digium.com/ or look at the wiki:
http://www.voip-info.org.

Good Luck!

Darren