[Asterisk-Users] detecting fax and passing it to Hylafax

Patrick J. Conroy conroyp at contexttech.com
Sun Sep 12 17:45:17 MST 2004

> I know it is possible for * to detect fax signal, however is it possible
> to pass the call to Hylafax?
>
> I guess hylafax (is on an external modem) would have to be connected to
> an internal extension, that part should be easy I guess.  In the same
> way faxes going out would need to be pass over to a POTS outside line.

This is pretty easy to do.  When fax tones are detected, the call jumps to
the fax extension in your context.  Then, you have the fax extension pass
the call through to hylafax.  So, if you have your calls coming into the
[inbound] context and you have your hylafax running on a modem connected to
Zap/2 you could do:

[inbound]
exten => s,1,Answer
exten => s,2,...Normal voice call stuff here

exten => fax,1,Dial(Zap/2)

> I'm aware that * has a fax module but I like Hylafax fax-junk  blocking
> feature.
> Though I'm not sure if fax TSI number would be passed through extension
> to block the fax call if desired.

TSI is passed through to hylafax.

This works smoothly for me.  However, I am attempting to do fax detection on
outbound dials.  I have tried setting faxdetect as both "outgoing" and
"both", but I never seem to get fax detection on outbound dials.  If anyone
has had luck with that, please let me know.

Hope this helps,
Patrick