[Asterisk-Users] Questions about PRI lines for modem banks and Asterisk

Clif Jones ctjones at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 11 13:40:41 MST 2004

I have a friend with a PRI coming into a modem bank that is receiving
56K modem calls and some ISDN data calls.  He wants to dump his analog
office phone lines and use some of the capacity on the PRI. I have been
digging through the mail archives and Wiki site on this subject but the
information I found doesn't give me a high enough confidence to go buy a
few T1 cards and try it out.  There is talk of using Asterisk as the
termination of the PRI from the PSTN and then forward calls for the
modem bank via another T1 span and a cross-over cable.  Others talk of
splitting the calls off with specialized equipment before it reaches the
Asterisk box.  Does anyone actually have the same (or similar) scenario
and if so what was your solution?  If you are using Asterisk to do the
switching, I would be interested in seeing your relevant config files.
My primary concerns are:
- The load on the Asterisk box if it is acting as a router for the
incoming ISDN calls.
- Effect of 56K modem dialup connections or ISDN data calls passing
through an Asterisk box.

Any success stories would be appreciated.