[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk newbie questions

Victor Rini victor-rini at comcast.net
Sat Sep 11 12:49:57 MST 2004

John Stegenga wrote:
> [sarcasm on]
> Thank you ALL for your warm welcome to this list.  I posted this message
> yesterday, and since I'm only getting Digest I figured I'd see a response in
> a day...
> [sarcasm off]
>
> C'mon.  This is the Asterisk Users mail list, isn't it?  This is where the
> Voip WIKI tells me to go for information on how people are using *.  Even if
> you only point me in the direction of some other information, it would be
> great if I could hear SOMETHING from you guys and gals out there....I humbly
> seek YOUR wisdom.

Sarcasm will not get you far on this list - no sir.

See the wiki: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Hardware

> I read in the list archives about an ACD application / extension to * that
> would probably to what I need in that regard.
> - thoughts?

I've read in the mailing list, the wiki and other websites that the ACD
system is quite capable for the size of call center you have in mind.
The only thing I don't know for sure is the support for soft phones.

> In remote locations I would also run *, and hook it up to an extension on an
> existing PBX.  Excuse the complete newbie question, but how many 'wires' do
> I need to bring between the PBX and the * box to support multiple
> simultaneous calls?  These calls would come from any extension on the TDM
> pbx to asterisk to the call center.  In a typical scenario there would NOT
> be a lot of simultaneous calls unless the system we're supporting went down
> hard.

If you use a t1 card on the the PBX and a t1 wildcard on the * box one
piece of cat 5 wired crossover should do the job. Spend the extra money
for the T1 card on the PBX - there's a huge gray market for PBX T1 cards
- ebay is a great place to find them.

> How would / could? one configure * at the remote location to communicate
> with * at the call center?

Most reliable way and most expensive is to set up a point-to-point T1.
Just tell * at each site where the channels are and route calls to them.

Next step down would be IP ports at both sites on the same Tier 1
carrier network. Asterisk has it's own incredibly efficient VOIP
protocol called IAX which has a trunking mode and would work well with this.

Anything less (cable modem or DSL) you might risk reduced call quality
or dropped calls but.... I've heard people vouch for the quality of IAX
on dialup connections in third world countries

> How would / could? one configure * at the remote location to use the
> existing TDM PBX as failover to call the support center via 1-800 if the IP
> circuit died?

Not quite sure of the scenario but pretty easily I think just a matter
of routing  calls to the legacy PBX upon failure or timeout in the *
dialplan.