[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk newbie questions

John Stegenga john at stegenga.net
Sat Sep 11 07:01:27 MST 2004

[sarcasm on]
Thank you ALL for your warm welcome to this list.  I posted this message
yesterday, and since I'm only getting Digest I figured I'd see a response in
a day...
[sarcasm off]

C'mon.  This is the Asterisk Users mail list, isn't it?  This is where the
Voip WIKI tells me to go for information on how people are using *.  Even if
you only point me in the direction of some other information, it would be
great if I could hear SOMETHING from you guys and gals out there....I humbly
seek YOUR wisdom.

Reposted message:

Hi everyone.
I'm a bit of a Linux newbie, but I've been doing tech stuff for ages.
I'm also brand new to *.
I've been reading the Voip.org wiki, and perusing the list archives for a
while since I've been asked to investigate using IP telephone / soft phones
for a call-center type scenario.  People (marketing folks) have pointed me
at Cisco, but I really don't wanna.  I'd rather be the hero and pull this
off with a much smaller budget.

Here is a scenario - 40 person call center, all with PC's (windows) and
soft-phone.
-any recommendations on hardware to run *?  soft phones?  90% of calls would
be IP / IAX coming to the center.

I read in the list archives about an ACD application / extension to * that
would probably to what I need in that regard.
- thoughts?

In remote locations I would also run *, and hook it up to an extension on an
existing PBX.  Excuse the complete newbie question, but how many 'wires' do
I need to bring between the PBX and the * box to support multiple
simultaneous calls?  These calls would come from any extension on the TDM
pbx to asterisk to the call center.  In a typical scenario there would NOT
be a lot of simultaneous calls unless the system we're supporting went down
hard.

How would / could? one configure * at the remote location to communicate
with * at the call center?

How would / could? one configure * at the remote location to use the
existing TDM PBX as failover to call the support center via 1-800 if the IP
circuit died?

I know you're all banging your heads on your desks saying "OY! another
newbie....".

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and guidance.

John