[Asterisk-Users] What would be required for this?

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Fri Sep 10 19:39:59 MST 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Jon Miron wrote:

> I have a question that I'm curious about.  I want to set up a 4 phone
> system in my home with 2 actual lines coming into the house.  Both or
> just regular lines (not sure of this matters?), one being VoIP and the
> other just a regular analog line.  For now though I just want the VoIP
> line coming in, but would like the ability to expand to 2 lines in the
> future.  What type of hardware is required for this, and how much would
> it cost?

Digium's X100P card takes a PCI slot and plugs into your phone line just
as an analog handset or modem would. I assume that your VoIP service is
delivered through some type of analog terminal adapter; an X100P could be
used to connect that as well. (You may be able to configure Asterisk to
connect directly to your VoIP provider. This ability depends on whether
you can persuade the provider to give you the account credentials.) Three
or four X100Ps seems to be the maximum people have been able to use in a
single box (some people may have hit a lower limit?). When your quantity
of lines gets into that range or above, you should consider the 4-port
relative of the X100P or a T1 card and an external channel bank.

> For now though, this is what I want to do and for as cheap as possible..
> I have a VoIP line that has free long distance on it and I want to be
> able to dial into Astrisk from my cell to be able to reach any number I
> want (eg extention that dials an outside line).  Any ideas on how to go
> about this?  Thanks in advance!

This is relatively straightforward to implement in a dialplan
(extensions.conf) either by implementing extensions direction or by using
the DISA application. Keep in mind that a system which allows an incoming
call to make an outgoing call has some inherent security issues
('wardialing' hasn't gone away).

Greg