[Asterisk-Users] Number of TDM405 Cards in one server

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Sep 10 14:18:39 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 15:55, Michael at Matraex.com wrote:
> I will not be using all of the T1s for voice.  I will be using a
> combination of voice and data and I don't expect that all of the lines
> will ever be full.

What kind of data? your site outwards inwards from dialup users. If
dialup, ISDN or analog modem?

> Since the people how answered only recommend 1 TE4**P card (thanks
> Steven) in a box I imagine that the solution is to setup peering between
> separate asterisk boxes in order to create a single overall
> "application".

Depends on the "application" if it needs peering. If you are taking a
single call and running it through IVR and are able to handle the call
without jumping off box, then peering isn't necessary. I have this type
of setup in place. More than one box handling incoming voice lines but
the call doesn't leave the box. Only if you need to connect to some
other person, trunk group, or other network is the peering necessary.

> So if I did do two cards any recommendations on whether I should use the
> 3.3v or 5.0v cards?  Or on  motherboard/memory/cpu specs?
> Obviously I would make sure that there are plenty of IRQs on the
> motherboard to handle the cards.

Power isn't the issue really, but rather the bus it sits in. I seem to
remember that the 3.3v card is for a newer version of the PCI bus and is
probably sitting on much a higher spec PCI chipset motherboard. If you
are going to risk 184 or 192 channels going down for a single machine
fault, you better build out of the highest quality parts and over build
what you can with hot swap parts. Go no less than hot swap drives in a
hardware raid and hotswap powersupplies. I don't know of any X86
hardware that lets you go farther than that and I would be nervous
deploying that.