[Asterisk-Users] Store data from call to database

Bill Seddon bill.seddon at lyquidity.com
Fri Sep 10 00:42:50 MST 2004

There is a script on the wiki (in case you've not come across it) that works
through the issues of recording voice.

We have a requirement to help certain types of user record calls with their
clients so that they can help ensure their duty to comply with FAS (UK)
requirements.  As you know the monitor command records inbound and outbound
calls independently (which is good for you as it will cut your storage
requirements in half).

We found that it was too slow to record the voice responses to a database.
So we assign each file storing the monitored call voice track a unique ID
(using ${UNIQUEID}).  At the end of the call we move the files out of the
monitor folder (/var/spool/asterisk/monitor) to a known place (each day a
new "day" sub-directory is created) and record only the *location* and name
of the voice file in the database.  In this way there is minimal I/O
activity.  All of this is done using the system() command from within a
dialplan except step that writes a record to the database.  This we do by a
call to small AGI script.  Admittedly our volumes are low by comparison to
those you will face but it seems pretty efficient.  It would be yet more
efficient if all the post call processing were done in an AGI script but
we've not needed to do that.

The reason we store the file in a day sub-directory is so that we can
backup/restore call messages on a day-by-day basis rather than having to
backup all files repeatedly.  We also store a "volume" ID with each
"location" record so that as disks fill up and we need to add more storage
or change our storage structure we can do so.

Bill Seddon