[Asterisk-Users] astwind has any one got this thing to work?

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Thu Sep 9 21:02:39 MST 2004

On 9 Sep 2004, khurram bhatti wrote:

> Well I wanted to test astwind and consulted * person
> he gave me this comment
> "lord help us all ... why would you want to simulate a linux system on
> top of a windows system in the first place?"

It's not a "simulated linux system". CoLinux is a kernel that runs in Ring
0 of the Windows kernel, with direct access to the Processor and MMU. It
runs in it's own protected memory space. The ONLY thing it uses Windows
for is to actually load the kernel and handle the I/O drivers. Otherwise,
CoLinux is running natively on your hardware... At the same TIME as
windows.

So, it isn't like running Vmware. It's a LOT faster, and if you set it up
right, you can even boot your existing Linux partition.

It's the best way to run Windows -AND- Linux at the same time. Blows the
pants off of BoCHS and Vmware in speed.

I've been running my home PBX under AstWind for about a month now. Even
after the Windows kernel has crashed and the system is completely hung,
CoLinux and AstWind continue to run without a problem! It's pretty
amazing.

Check out http://www.nacs.net/~damin/astwind.jpg