[Asterisk-Users] iaxy vs sipura

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Sep 7 18:13:34 MST 2004

> > I need a cheap simple adaptor for analog phones to use with Asterisk. It
> > should be some kind of "configure and forget" type of device, to use at
> > the office, or just throw it in a road warrior's bag and use it while
> > travelling, to call back to the "mothership"
>
> For travelling, no SIP based device will be "configure and forget".
> Perhaps if you travel only within the US, you may be lucky most of the
> time but pretty much anywhere else where IP addresses are scarce you
> will be out of luck.

Believe or not, I've been using a snom 200 configured with nat and haven't found
any US locations where it doesn't work with a couple of exceptions.

One exception is some hotels that use a web redirect service to basically
authenticate a session "before" the user is allowed to do anything. Examples
include some Marriotts, very small number of Holiday Inn Express's, etc. In
those cases, at least "one" web attempt must be made before a clear channel
is allowed from the dhcp assigned address.

The snom is never reconfigured (other then some corporations/institutions don't
support dhcp), and just seems to work with an * server on a registered IP.

I'm writing this from a hotel that only has wireless, so it doesn't work here.
But, xlite sort-of-kind-of works in its place. :)

Rich