[Asterisk-Users] iaxy vs sipura

Leo Ann Boon leo at innovax.com.sg
Tue Sep 7 17:06:18 MST 2004

Benjamin on Asterisk Mailing Lists wrote:

>I have been travelling a lot on all inhabited continents, using hotel
>provided internet connections, internet cafes, client's office LANs,
>hotspots in public places, cafes, airports etc etc.
>
>The most common experience is "SIP doesn't work at all" and the second
>most common experience is "SIP only works after messing around a lot".
>Even if you get SIP to work, you are likely to spend so much time on
>fiddling with settings that it has a negative impact on your schedule.

Not so true. If you can use a SIP ALG (or far end NAT traversal device
like Jasomi), it will pretty much make the config problems 'disappear'.
I've had very good results using SER with nathelper module. My setup-
SER handles the NAT traversal and external extensions while * handles
the office extensions, voicemail and PSTN gw. So far, I have yet to
encounter a scenario that doesn't work with this setup. Most of the
time, my colleagues can walk into a customer's premise, turn on the
Cisco ATA and viola - they can call the office or make PSTN calls.