[Asterisk-Users] Maximum tollerable lag/jitter for IAX2 w/o jitterbuffer enabled?

Kris Boutilier Kris.Boutilier at scrd.bc.ca
Tue Sep 7 16:26:24 MST 2004

 I'm having a problem with intersite calls over IAX2 being abruptly
terminated. Nothing odd shows in any of the logs for Asterisk or the host.
The only think I can think it might be is a lag-spike on the site to site
connection.

 How sensitive is IAX2 to lost frames, lag spikes or large variations in
jitter with the GSM codec and:

 bandwidth=low
 jitterbuffer=no
 trunkfreq=100		; Raised from 20
 tos=lowdelay

 notransfer=no
 trunk=no

All calls are running as GSM, even though g.729 is also an 'allowed' codec
(w/5 licenses installed). During an average call 'iax2 show channels'
provides:

Peer             Username    ID (Lo/Rem)  Seq (Tx/Rx)  Lag      Jitter
JitBuf  Format
10.0.40.140      astpbx-woo  00002/00002  00005/00006  00040ms  0036ms
0000ms  GSM

Kris Boutilier
Information Systems Coordinator
Sunshine Coast Regional District