[Asterisk-Users] MOH/mpg123 broken when running asterisk as non-root?

john lawler asterisk-users.lists.digium.com at tgice.com
Tue Sep 7 11:28:07 MST 2004

Steve Maroney wrote:

> Can non-root users play mp3's with mpeg123 ? It may be a permission
> problem with your audio device files.

Pretty sure that's not the problem, b/c if I switch to my non-root user
and fire up the mpg123 player, it goes off without a hitch, and will
play an mp3 (I don't have speakers hookedup, but it's definitely not dying).

Also, I've chowned all the /dev/sound devices to my non-root user.

Any more ideas?  Places I could look for helpful error messages perhaps?
  So far I'm not seeing any.

Thanks,

jl