[Asterisk-Users] Lower cost router suitable for VOIP ?

John Howard john.howard at adelix.com
Tue Sep 7 10:11:50 MST 2004

One thing I will say is that my test environment isn’t exactly huge, I'm
using Asterisk with 2 x100p's (PSTN access) and voiptalk here in the UK.
They offer an IAX2 trunk -> PSTN gateway service.  I also have a voiptalk
SIP account that I test with as well.

I have tried a few other adsl routers before I tried this, namely a Solwise
SAR715 ADSL Router and an OEM Connexant DSL pile of filth.  Neither would
work at all with SIP or the IAX2 stuff.  I have also had issues with
iptables that I wish to never have to think about again!

Since installing this Zyxel DSL router I have had pretty much no problems at
all.  The Bandwidth shaping is basic but consequently quite simple.

It has SIP, FTP and h.323 as preconfigured profiles that require nothing
more than a source and/or destination address, priority and amount of
bandwidth to allocate.  Other protocols require port number and protocol
type as you'd expect.

If configured to share root bandwidth among classes then it will happily
allow browsing and leeching at full speed, but when you make a call there
will be a near instant drop in download speeds elsewhere.  I allocated
176kbps to port 4569 udp (IAX2) and found that using the voiptalk service
was fine.  I'm having a few ATM issues with our dsl here that didn’t help
testing earlier today, but when the dsl is behaving itself, using the voip
is certainly no different to using the pstn over asterisk.  Both methods are
using gsm as the default codec right now.  There was the occasional defect
in the voice I will admit, but that just the odd bit of packet loss I think.

jd