[Asterisk-Users] offtopic - channel banks

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Mon Sep 6 23:14:45 MST 2004

Ilia,

Okay, we are stretching the limits of my official technical knowledge and
getting into the realm of empirical knowledge (i.e. I messed around and got
it to work).  The T1 framing and encoding (esf,b8zs for example), will get
you green lights on the T1 side of the channel bank, but if you hook up a
phone to the correct pairs matching a channel output on the channel bank,
you won't get dial tone.  You'll need to match the signalling (E&M, E&M
Wink, fxs_ls, fxs_ks, etc.) between the channel bank and the asterisk t1
configuration.  This will then allow you top provide correct signalling to
the analog handsets giving you dial tone as well as off-hook, on-hook
detection, etc.

So to answer your question, E&M is not a framing protocol, it rides on top
of the framing and encoding protocols and is the protocol that interacts
with the channel bank to provide correct signalling between the analog
handset and the T1 interface of Asterisk.

-Chris

On 10:59 PM 9/6/2004, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
> [...]
 >> associated with each channel on the T1 circuit.  Historically, you would
 >> connect up a cable of 50 conductors connected to the centronics connector
 >> on one end, and then to one side a punch down block on the other (just a
 >> quick-connect style access device for copper wire).  On the other side of
 >> the punch down block, you would connect the wires that would then run to
 >> the remote wall jacks, etc. where your phones plug in.
 >>
 >> The problem you have is wither by google mastery or just plain brute force
 >> testing, you need to figure out the pinout of that centronics port before
 >> you can connect up any phones successfully.
 >>
 >> -Chris
 >>
 >> On 10:56 PM 9/5/2004, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
 >>  >While I understand everything that you have said, I'm still a little
 >>  >confused. Yes - I have what looks like a centronics connector on the
 >>  >back. So, I can do "t100p with e&m signalling" <-> "act-1241 e&m card"
 >>  ><-> what? Namely, if the E&M card deals with the T1 end of the channel,
 >>  >how do I get that to a real phone? Will it "just work" if I plug an
 >>  >analog phone onto the correct pair coming out of the connector in the
 >>  >back? If not, what is the output of the E&M card? (and, more
 >>  >importantly, what would I need to do to hook it up to an analog phone?)
 >>  >
 >>  >Thanks for clearing things up.
 >>  >
 >>  >---
 >>  >Ilia Mirkin
 >>  >imirkin at mit.edu
 >>  >
 >>  >On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 04:31, Steven Critchfield wrote:
 >>  >> On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 03:10, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
 >>  >> > hi,
 >>  >> >
 >>  >> > i have some newbie questions about channel banks. i have an adtran
 >>  >> > act-1241 sitting around. it accepts D4 modules, and it contains a
 >number
 >>  >> > of e&m cards.
 >>  >> >
 >>  >> > first of all, how does this thing work? a t1 contains 24 channels,
 >and i
 >>  >> > noticed that the channel bank has space for 24 cards. what do these
 >>  >> > cards do? what are their outputs? the ones that are in there have
some
 >>  >> > outputs on the front marked "test", but nothing else. there are a
 >number
 >>  >> > of wires coming out the back (48, if i had to guess), and it has
a few
 >>  >> > ports on the front which seem to be able to take in a T1. am i
correct
 >>  >> > in understanding that it is the card in the bank that determines the
 >>  >> > signalling style, and not the t1? as such, is there no way that i
could
 >>  >> > use it in its current configuration to have it talk with analog
phones
 >>  >> > (i.e. something like t100p -> act-1241 with e&m cards -> phone)?
i'm a