[Asterisk-Users] Zaptel 'Under the Hood' Project

Victor Rini victor-rini at comcast.net
Mon Sep 6 18:12:08 MST 2004

Hello,

After poking and prodding at Asterisk and Zaptel for over a couple years
now, I've dedicated some time to actually reading the code and trying to
figure it out.

It's been fascinating. With the driver source on one part of the screen
and a pdf of "Linux Device Drivers" on another part I've aquainted
myself with device driver programming and the interesting hardware on
the wildcards. I've always thought Asterisk and Zaptel were two of the
coolest FOSS projects around and now that I've
spelunked through the code a little bit I'm curious:

Has anyone ever wrote a zaptel "under the hood" type of document,
discussing how the pseudo tdm bus works, the zaptel hardware, etc? If
so, please point me there.

If not, I'd like to take a stab at compiling a paper or article about
zaptel for a general audience, technically inclined but not hard core
technical, i.e. people like me who
have used asterisk but always wondered how it worked down to the
hardware, spans, channels, chunks, samples level. Some help from the
community of course would
be great, perhaps through using a blog or wiki.

Once the zaptel "dragon" is dispatched, I'd then focus on Asterisk.

What do you all think?

Regards,
Victor