[Asterisk-Users] DTMF information?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Sep 6 17:15:00 MST 2004

Chris Lee wrote:

> I am looking at building an IVR product with a few interesting
> features and need some more information about how asterisk and VoIP
> work and what I can get from them.
>
> As far as I can tell when I use ISDN/GSM telephone networks the DTMF
> information travels as data representing 'start tone' and 'stop tone'
> for each button pressed, it is then generated at the other end if an
> audio representation is required.
> I am interested to know if I can get access to these events 'start
> tone' and 'stop tone' through the dialplan or an AGI or by acting as a
> VoIP device. Or of course if I am completely off track and should give
> up now.
>
> I am looking to get the length of time a button was held down rather
> than that it was pressed.
>
> Thanks for any help

ISDN never does this. GSM only does this between the handset and the
base-station. You only see DTMF tones from outside the GSM network
itself. For fancy IVRs, beware that the timing of DTMF from a GSM
handset has nothing to do with the timing of the user's keypresses.
Because the base-station generates the tones, it controls their timing,
and always generates rather long slow pulses of DTMF tones.

Regards,
Steve