[Asterisk-Users] Newby question. Basic structure

Rodolfo Grave rodolfograve at yahoo.es
Mon Sep 6 12:54:52 MST 2004

I was checking on the harware page of Digium and I found that there are
many TDM cards.

# TDM10B - 1-port FXS bundle
	Order Online <http://store.yahoo.com/asteriskpbx/witd1pofxs.html>
# TDM40B - 4-port FXS bundle
	Order Online <http://store.yahoo.com/asteriskpbx/witd4pofxsbu.html>
# TDM01B - 1-port FXO bundle
	Order Online <http://store.yahoo.com/asteriskpbx/tdtd1pofxsbu.html>
# TDM04B - 4-port FXO bundle
	Order Online <http://store.yahoo.com/asteriskpbx/newitd4pofxo.html>
# TDM11B - 1-port FXS & 1-port FXO bundle
	Order Online <http://store.yahoo.com/asteriskpbx/newitastdmde.html>
# TDM22B - 2-port FXS & 2-port FXO bundle
	Order Online <http://store.yahoo.com/asteriskpbx/tdtd2fxspo2f.html>
# TDM31B - 3-port FXS & 1-port FXO bundle
	Order Online <http://store.yahoo.com/asteriskpbx/newitd3pofxo.html>

Can you explain further what a FXS and FXO port represents in a call
process in general?

More especifically, if I want to connect 2 * boxes through internet, and
I want box 1 to be able to receive a call from PSTN and allow the caller
to make a call trhough VoIP by dialing in his phone the desired number,
and then the box 2 should be able to receive a call through IP and send
it out to PSTN... what's the right configuration? I just want this for
personal use so minimum options is best althought if you have the time
and can explain every posibility will be great.

Regards and thanks once more.

RODOLFO

Rich Adamson wrote:

>>        Is there a possible configuration in case I dont have a broadband
>>        connection in the called-end, for example, a modem connection?
>>

>>    No, there is no modem support built into asterisk. The problem is that
>>    modems typcially do not support the bandwidth needed for a single
>>    phone call. About the minimum bandwidth needed (including IP overhead)
>>    is roughly 30,000 bits/second full duplex.
>>

>>Could I cheat Asterisk by connecting the linux boxing it's running to a
>>LAN which is connected to the internet using a
>>Modem? In this way, Asterisk will see a broadband connection... this is
>>assuming I dont care about the problem with
>>the bandwith of course.
>>

>Sure you could. Asterisk doesn't care as long as the remote destination
>is accessible via IP, and the path/tunnel (regardless of what its built
>on or with) has sufficient bandwidth to handle the traffic.
>
>>From the sound of the questions, NATing and plain old IP routing are
>probably some topics to review in general. Asterisk can handle NATing,
>but unless you read up on exactly how to configure it for your
>specific case (if needed), it's likely to be less then clear initially.
>
>Rich

>---
>avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.
>Virus Database (VPS): 0436-4, 03/09/2004
>Tested on: 06/09/2004 19:32:15
>avast! - copyright (c) 2000-2004 ALWIL Software.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0436-4, 03/09/2004
Tested on: 06/09/2004 21:54:54