[Asterisk-Users] spouse-friendly spa-3000 pstn interface

Larry Shields LJ.Shields at Verizon.net
Mon Sep 6 09:24:05 MST 2004

Rich,

I have an SPA-3000 with a similar setup to yours.  Unlike yours, my cordless
phone system is on a SPA-2000 that connect through the SPA-3000 for a PSTN
connection. For LD I use 91xxx for (MCI) or 71xxx for (VoicePulse).  In
addition to trunk access codes 7 & 9, I use FWD by dialing 8xxxxxx.

I also recently replaced our 2.4GHz phones with 5.8GHz phones.  I picked the
Uniden TRU8866 5.8GHz cordless system (I highly recommend it).  It supports
up to 10 handsets on one base unit and has excellent audio quality.  What
really sold me on this cordless phone system, besides the audio quality, was
the fact that it supports two lines.  I have connected both lines to the
SPA-2000 which allows us to utilize the local PSTN and VoIP trunk
simultaneously.

I like your post because I have also gone to great lengths to integrate the
* system into our home without alienating my wife or visiting friends &
family.  Fortunately I have been able to talk my wife into using the *
voicemail functions.

At first my wife was not too keen on the VM system.  It was the Uniden sets
that sold her on it.  The Uniden system supports Message Waiting Indicator
(MWI) when messages are left on the * system.  So she can see from any
handset (red slow flashing LED) that a VM message is waiting.  The phone
base and handsets also have a feature button marked for checking VM.  So I
programmed the button on all the cordless handsets to dial the VM extension
2500#, which then prompts for the mailbox password.  So far so good, no echo
and the clarity is excellent whether talking to a PSTN or VoIP call.

The only problem I have not been able to figure out is flashing to the PSTN
line for call-waiting... It does not work and I get secondary dial tone
instead of the waiting call.  Any Ideas?

--Larry