[Asterisk-Users] SIP authentication problem

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Sep 6 05:33:57 MST 2004

Kurt Bauer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the following setup:
>
>                E100P
>  SER <----> * <-----> PBX
>
> This works just fine, except when there are users on both boxes (ie. SER
> and asterisk), whose usernames are the same, although the realm is
> different.
At this point, Asterisk doesn't care about the realms. It's on my
to-do-list. If you look at chan_sip2, it's been in the comments
on "to-do" for a long time.

> An example:
> user 'kb at sip.univie.ac.at' wants to call some extension in the PBX, but
> as user 'kb at troubadix.univie.ac.at' exists too, * tries to authenticate
> the user, which it shouldn't do, at least I guess so.
>
> Shouldn't asterisk differentiate between the realms ie. userA at realm1 !=
> userA at realm2 ?
Yes, it should. BTW this is not realms, realm is in the auth header. This
is the domain part - and yes, asterisk should be aware of which domains
it is responsible for.

It's a bug in the architecture. A first step was to make Asterisk realm-
aware, so not all asterisk's in the world had the same realm.

/Olle