[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Conferencing using g729

box100 box100 at easlick.com
Mon Sep 6 02:31:28 MST 2004

Thanks for the quick response, William. Yes, I was able to force it by removing ULAW from the sip.conf but I needed that in there. If it is there, then the Sipura as well as X-PRO use ulaw. I didn't really want to adjust the clients because I am planning on having random clients accessing the server and don't want to instruct each one to change whatever hard or softphone they may have over to g729. I wanted that process transparent to the user.

I also seem to need more than 2 licenses although the Sipura support g729, so I wouldn't think I would also need a license on the Asterisk box for each one.

It looks like the choices are either use a dedicated box only for conferencing and eliminate the possiblity of anyone using ulaw, or just getting more bandwidth so that there is enough for as the 20 clients can connect. Just seems like a lot of bandwidth to have, that's all.

The ideal situation would be the ability to only use g729 for the conference rooms and ulaw for everything else, but the bandwidth=low setting doesn't seem to work if ulaw is allowed.

Thanks again.