[Asterisk-Users] Linux distribution

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Sun Sep 5 08:46:05 MST 2004

Umar Sear [usedcanon at yahoo.co.uk] wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 22:53, Paul Mahler wrote:
> > Asterisk should run well with any Linux distribution. Mepis,
> > www.mepis.org, is pre-configured for * and might make your
> > installation faster and easier.
> >
> Can you elaborate on what you mean by pre-configured.

I can't find anything to indicate that Mephis comes "pre-configured"
for Asterisk.  I've not looked too hard, but it seems difficult to
find exactly what it comes pre-configured with.  I can see that
Mephis comes pre-configured for the X Window System, and that's enough
for me to avoid it - unless X can be de-selected at install time.

As for the Asterisk pre-configuration, I imagine that just means that
someone has gone to all the effort it takes to grab Asterisk from CVS
and type "make install" and (probably) "make samples".  I wouldn't
expect Asterisk to be "pre-configured" on any distro, because everyone
will have different setup requirements.

I'll stick with Gentoo, where I always get exactly what I need - nothing
more, nothing less.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz