[Asterisk-Users] Free WWT (WorldWideTelco): Utopia, or just a matter of organization?

Marconi Rivello marconirivello at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 22:50:19 MST 2004

Good points, Jon.

I know that there are legal issues that must be considered. But the
technology can't be held back because of the ignorant. The police
already has computer technicians to help with digital crimes. And the
internet and voip revolution won't stop because of the illicit ways
they can be used. The laws, and it's "imposers", must adapt to new
realities.

Anyway, these issues don't have to be addressed right now. Unless they
are actually ILLEGAL today. In the beginning, this network can't be
opened to general public, of course. It would be usable only by the
participants of the project. If we realize that it works, then
security measures must be implemented, lawyers must be consulted,
etc...

The financial argument is just too strong. Just a sample: 1 minute of
local calls here in Brazil is US$ 0.012. One minute call to US is US$
0.26, and that's because of a promotional rate. So, my girlfriend
(which is in US) calls me from her cellphone, to my home, and we only
pay the local call here in Brazil (her cell -> StanaPhone DiD or
IPKall -> my asterisk box at work -> my home). So, if I call her from
the "real" phone, it is almost 22 times more expensive. And there are
other countries with much more expensive international phone rates.

The best thing is that neither the caller nor the callee has to use
voip. Both of them can use a real phone (like me and my girlfriend).
I'm able to call my asterisk box, type my password and gain access to
SIP. This way, the caller can be identified by his/her access code
(when caller id is available, that too can be stored), and the dialed
number can be recorded for further analysis, if necessary. The thing
may be done really professionally.

Well, I'm gonna do it. I'll start looking for a website host, and
anyone willing to participate is welcome.

PS: Critics are still welcome. It is better to foresee the problem...

Marconi.