[Asterisk-Users] Lower cost router suitable for VOIP ?

Chris Shaw chriss at watertech.com
Fri Sep 3 15:18:39 MST 2004

> Generally speaking, the bulk of data flowing in any end-user pipe is
contained
> in TCP and that can be rate limited on the receiving side.  UDP traffic
> you're more or less out of luck with unless the ISP supports ECN which
many
> do not.
>
> So really the key to VOIP on consumer grade connections simply not to fill
> your pipe, since you have no control over what is prioritised.

That's basically what I'm doing... I'll post examples but that's about all
you can do... It's really up to the ISP, but all I'm saying is that you can
have a pretty decent setup without Carrier-Grade SLAs, you CAN do it over
pretty much any broadband connection within reason of course...

Also jitter can be a problem if the ISP is using RED... RED really falls
short for UDP, it was designed with TCP's backoff algoritms in mind. RED
like many other QoS schedulers works by dropping packets... this is not good
for VoIP...