[Asterisk-Users] Lower cost router suitable for VOIP ?

Chris Shaw chriss at watertech.com
Fri Sep 3 15:17:48 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Kohlsmith" <akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2004 3:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Lower cost router suitable for VOIP ?

> On Friday 03 September 2004 17:48, Chris Shaw wrote:
> > based on their destination MAC whereas iptables does not... Bear in mind
> > that this is a software switch not a hardware switch so it can pass
packets
> > at wire speed but some network drivers are horribly broken and slow
> > (rtl8139, 3c90x, eepro100, etc..)  and also when you open a lot of TCP
> > sockets simultaneously it uses a lot of memory and CPU... This works
> > beautifully and to the end users and applications it's completely
> > transparent!
>
> eepro100 is horribly broken?  I can saturate the link without breaking a
sweat > -- not in CPU nor memory.

The drivers have gotten much better, but yes, up until about 2.4.22 it used
to hard lock my server every 24 hours or so under heavy packet loads...
Remember what I said about it being a software bridge... Intel cards in
general are not known for being CPU-Friendly...

Really the tulip based cards are the fastest I've seen, I know they're kinda
cheap boards usually but they scream performance-wise...

    -Chris