[Asterisk-Users] Lower cost router suitable for VOIP ?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Sep 3 15:44:13 MST 2004

> I believe what you're looking for is QoS. I didn't mess around with it
> yet... But I know you can setup a cheap linux router with it, so your
> VoIP traffic will get more priority.
>
> Here's an idea: setup one linux box as a router, with 1 ethernet for
> inside voip, another one for the rest, and the last one to the outside
> world. I'm sure you'll find the necessary tools for linux QoS.

To ensure everyone is on the same page with QoS, the above will only
satisfy a small piece of the problem, Outgoing data flows.

In order to properly address any voip call, you really need to address
both incoming and outgoing data flows. The incoming part of that can
only be addressed by having your ISP (and their providers in many
cases) also implement QoS. Good luck.