[Asterisk-Users] Re: asterisk config and root

Stefan Tichy asterisk at pi4tel.de
Fri Sep 3 04:32:41 MST 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 01:30:05PM +0300, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> Another beginner's question:
>
> Can I gain root if I have write access to asterisk's config files?

If the asterisk process has root priviledges only root should be
allowed to modify its config files. But root priviledges are not
mandatory for a running asterisk process.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+non-root

Asterisk can be started by root (init script) using a command like
this:

/usr/sbin/asterisk -p -Uasterisk -Gdialout

(options are explained in the man page asterisk(8))

The user asterisk has been created as described in the wiki.
Probably you have to choose a different group and it might even be
necessary to change the permissions of some device file.

--
Stefan Tichy   <asterisk at pi4tel.de>