[Asterisk-Users] GSM codec bandwidth

Michael George george at mutualdata.com
Thu Sep 2 20:40:36 MST 2004

I've a question about the bandwidth consumed by IAX2/GSM.

According to the wiki page, the GSM codec should run about 13 kilo-bits/sec
for a voice encoding.

However, watching gkrellm when I initiate a call to Digium, it looks like the
channel is taking a consistent 5-6 kilo-bytes/sec.  That's a lot more
bandwidth than it should take.  Is there perhaps a setting I have wrong
somethere in the conf files?

I have:
bandwidth=low
disallow=all
allow=gsm

so it's surely using GSM and it should be gearing itself for a low-bandwidth
situation.

Am I missing something, or are my expectations wrong?

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
	Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.